Clubhouse Manager/Executive Food & Beverage Director
Mesa Verde Country Club
Costa Mesa, California
The Clubhouse Manager/ Executive Food & Beverage Director Opportunity at Mesa Verde Country Club in Costa Mesa, California
An amazing opportunity exists for a candidate with a successful track record of leadership and high-quality F&B operations management in private clubs, resorts, hotels or high-end establishments in the hospitality industry. The successful candidate will be an integral part of an established leadership team at a premier private equity owned Club, recognized for its wonderful amenities, personalized service and quality work environment. The team is focused on improving the Member experience and redeveloping outlet offerings, rebuilding and training our service team, as the Members will be transferring from alternate dining facilities into a newly renovated and expanded Clubhouse in late September.
Mesa Verde is currently renovating both their clubhouse and golf course. The Members are currently in alternate facilities and the golf course remains open but in a limited capacity. The primary focus of this candidate immediately would be to assist in the daily alternate operations, but begin to rebuild the team, establish and execute training programs, work with the culinary team on menus, and other opening needs, to prepare for a reopening in late September.
The primary role of this position is on the overall member experience. The ability to lead and work with multiple departments and the ability to plan, innovate, and organize the overall departmental leadership is a critical skill set required for the success of this position. Equally important is the ability to intuitively embrace the need to be visible and highly interactive with the members and staff. The candidate needs to be a strong leader, listener, approachable and accessible.
The Clubhouse Manager/ Executive Food and Beverage Director is ultimately responsible for all club food and beverage service operations and leads and directs in other Club related departments. Being the face of these operations with a hands-on approach and an understanding that full on-the-floor member and staff engagement is critical to success in this position. This Director consistently provides outstanding dining and other event food and beverage experiences for the Club’s membership and their guests. This senior position also works directly with all Department Heads and reports directly to the General Manager. Although F&B is the primary focus, the Clubhouse Manager is the Club’s MOD and responsibilities expand beyond the F&B Department. This role will supervise, locker rooms and social areas, Tennis, Catering, outside tournaments and special events, Kids Camp, Club Events and will work directly with the Head Golf Pro and Facilities Director with their respective departments. A most critical relationship is that with the Executive Chef, ensuring collaborative and harmonious relationships between front and back of the house operations.
Job Title: Clubhouse Manager/Executive Food and Beverage Director
Reports to: General Manager
Direct Reports: Executive Chef, Assistant F&B Director, Catering Director, Head Tennis Professional, Kids Camp Supervisor, Locker Room Attendants
Member/Club Impact: Very high member impact and member expectations regarding F&B operations and special functions.
Member Service and Focus
Is dedicated to exceeding the expectations and requirements of members and management regarding member service; establishes and maintains effective relationships with members and gains their trust and respect.
Values, Integrity and Trust
Adheres to the core values and beliefs of Mesa Verde Country Club and consistently acts in line with those values; is widely trusted; is seen as a truthful individual that is straight forward and who can present the truth in an appropriate manner.
Teamwork and Communication
Works cooperatively with team members within and across team groups; seeks team members input and encourages their participation; supports team success by helping others; communicates well with team members at all levels.
Decision Quality/Problem Solving
Solves problems with effective solutions and honest analysis; makes good decisions based on analysis, input, experience and judgment.
Is easy to approach and talk to; spends the extra effort to put others at ease; is warm, pleasant and gracious; is sensitive to and patient with the interpersonal differences and anxieties of others; builds rapport well and is a good listener; is able to get information up front and early enough to diffuse a potential problem due to the rapport they have built. Maintains a Positive and Professional Demeanor and Appearance is always pleasant, positive and personable to members and fellow staff; does not allow outside or negative influences to affect their demeanor at work; is always dressed and groomed impeccably, and always checks their appearance before coming to work; is able to draw people toward them due to their
enthusiasm and positive demeanor.
Can be counted on to consistently meet and exceed goals; able to perform job tasks and duties before being asked; is considered reliable and does what they say they are going to do in a timely manner, with both manager(s) and team members; is not defensive when receiving feedback.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Clubhouse Manager/ Executive Food and Beverage Director will:
• Be the primary coordinator of food and beverage budgeting, hiring, coaching, training, orientations, and creating a culture of teamwork, and the supervision of associates to ensure all is done in accordance with approved Club policies and state laws.
• Have a strong and highly visible presence with the Membership. Have the ability to communicate and lead the staff to provide a high-level of service.
• Train and motivate the team and must be able to communicate expectations to a staff with diverse backgrounds and motivate them positively to understand and execute those expectations.
• Maximize member utilization and satisfaction through diverse F&B offerings.
• Create new innovative events and promotions with staff and committees to ensure better utilization.
• Personally handles member and guest incidents and complaints and advises General Manager regarding appropriate corrective action.
• Develops an operating budget for each of the department’s revenue outlets; after approval, monitors and takes corrective action necessary to assure the budget’s sales and cost goals are attained.
• Prepares budgets and profit and loss statements for all special events to ensure that budgets are adhered to.
• Oversee all dining areas to ensure smooth operations, high levels of member and guest satisfaction, quality food products and exemplary service in conjunction with the Executive Chef.
• Assures that all standard operating procedures for sales and cost controls are in place and consistently utilized.
• Chairs the House Committee and makes recommendations with the Executive Chef regarding Clubhouse and F&B related issues.
• Establish and uphold expectations of service standards, dress, decorum and consistently monitor for adherence.
• Reviews new techniques for food preparation and presentation in a manner and variety to maximize member/guest satisfaction at minimum cost.
• Recommend, monitor and manage policies, operating procedures and staffing for all F&B areas; recognize the needs and consistently perform to high levels of service in each of the operating areas.
• Hold weekly meetings and daily briefings with direct reports to keep them informed of necessary and relevant activities and expectations at the Club.
• Have a strong sense of urgency and responsiveness, while also maintaining quality and integrity of the business plan.
• Assist the team in planning and be responsible for ensuring that special club events are well-conceived and executed.
• Be responsive to members’ requests for menu selections, event planning, etc., and strive to find creative ways to accommodate reasonable requests.
• Develop and monitor plans, budgets and procedures to provide direction and controls for food and beverage operations; implement corrective procedures as necessary to help ensure budget goals are attained.
• Ensure adherence to, and compliance with, all health, safety, liquor consumption, and all other food and beverage regulations.
• Responsible for the management and ordering of all alcoholic beverages.
• Consistently monitor payroll and labor to ensure the departments are in line with forecast and goals.
• Be an active and dynamic recruiter of team members and someone who enjoys monitoring and building their team and leading them to significant member satisfaction outcomes.
• Creator of a positive work environment that involves associates and that people want to participate in every day.
• Create, conduct, oversee ongoing training for all areas of the department.
• Ensure an effective onboarding and orientation with consistent professional development and training.
• Work closely with Executive Chef to facilitate a creative and strong relationship between front and back of the operation.
• Take personal ownership of his or her area of responsibility, with special attention to the physical plan and overall appearance of the operation and understand that the need to be consistently “member ready” in both appearance and service.
• Take the lead in our Summer Kids Camp, develop programming and hire and manage all needed personnel.
• Work with Head Tennis Professional to develop programming and social events outside of golf.
• Manage the Locker Rooms/Member’s social areas to be sure the amenities and service are topnotch.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Must be computer literate; excel in verbal and written communication.
• Extensive Food and Wine knowledge.
• Ability to develop and oversee training programs for supervisory and service staff.
• Ability to coordinate a team of diverse personalities and positions using excellent communication and organizational skills.
• Experience with renovations and openings a plus.
Education: A Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) in Hospitality Management is preferable or Prefer college degree in related field. Candidate should have a minimum of six years of Food and Beverage management experience in a high-volume facility or an equivalent combination of related education and experience.
Physical/Environmental Demands: Requires lifting to 25 lbs. Must be able to stand for prolonged periods of time and work in high temperature kitchens.
Work Environment: Indoor/Outdoor restaurant and kitchen environment.
Salary & Benefits: Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Club, along with the typical CMAA benefits, offers excellent a benefit package.
Interested Applicants: Please send cover letter explaining your interest and your resume to Michele Green, Human Resources, firstname.lastname@example.org